Hamas claims 10-month-old Argentine and his family killed in Israeli bombing

The death of Kfir Bibas and his brother and mother, who were being held hostage, could not immediately be confirmed

Last-minute negotiations between Israel and Hamas to extend the Gaza truce were overshadowed on Wednesday by an unconfirmed claim by Hamas that a 10-month old baby Israeli hostage with Argentine citizenship, and his family had been killed.

Shortly before the final release of women and children hostages scheduled under the truce, the military wing of Hamas said the youngest hostage, baby Kfir Bibas, had been killed in an earlier Israeli bombing, along with his four-year-old brother Ariel and their mother. Their father has also been held.

Israel said it was checking the claim, which was potentially consequential, as the family were among the highest-profile civilian hostages yet to be freed.

News agency Reuters could not independently confirm the Hamas statement. Relatives had issued a special appeal for the family’s freedom after the children and their parents were excluded from the penultimate group freed on Tuesday.

The Israeli Embassy in Argentina told the Herald in a statement that “the state of Israel does not know the whereabouts of the members of the Bibas family, who were kidnapped by the terrorist organization Hamas on October 7, 2023.”

The Argentine foreign ministry was also contacted for comment.

Families of the final group of Israeli hostages who were set to be released on Wednesday as part of a truce with Hamas were informed earlier of their names. Officials did not say at the time whether that included the Bibas family.

Hamas members in Gaza published a list of 15 women and 15 teenagers to be released from Israeli jails in return for the hostages, 240 of whom were captured during a deadly raid on Israel on October 7.

For the first time since the truce began, the list of Palestinians to be freed included Palestinian citizens of Israel, as well as residents of occupied territory.

A Palestinian official earlier told Reuters that despite a willingness on both sides to prolong the truce, no agreement had yet been reached. Discussions were still under way with mediators in Egypt and Qatar, the official said.

Israeli government spokesperson Eylon Levy said Israel would consider any serious proposal, although he declined to provide further details.

“We are doing everything we can in order to get those hostages out. Nothing is confirmed until it is confirmed,” Levy told reporters in Tel Aviv. “We’re talking about very sensitive negotiations in which human lives hang in the balance.”

Once the release of hostages ends, the fighting will resume, he said: “This war will end with the end of Hamas.”



All Right Reserved.  Buenos Aires Herald