Juntos por el Cambio reacts to Macri’s decision not to run

Bullrich, Larreta, Morales and Vidal praised his move

Opposition presidential candidates including Buenos Aires Mayor Horacio Rodríguez Larreta and former Security Minister and PRO President Patricia Bullrich have applauded former president Mauricio Macri’s decision not to run in October’s presidential elections.

The center-right Macri’s decision, which he announced in a video on Sunday, clears the playing field for candidates of the opposition coalition “Juntos por el Cambio”.

“Once again, Macri makes a decision that shows his vision, generosity, bravery and love for all Argentines,” said Rodríguez Larreta. 

The mayor of Buenos Aires, who formally announced his campaign on February 23, is portraying himself as a center-right moderate who favors consensus.

“Macri’s historical decision confirms his generosity and greatness,” tweeted Bullrich. Macri’s right-wing former security minister between 2015 and 2019, she has not launched her campaign yet, but has repeatedly said she intends to run.

Gerardo Morales, who launched his presidential bid on March 15, joined the conversation by saying it was the “right choice”. 

María Eugenia Vidal tweeted a letter describing Macri as “a healthy leader who encourages you to give your best”.

“I am convinced that we must expand the political space for the change that we initiated,” Macri said in his video. He was president from 2015 to 2019 and ran for re-election, but lost to Alberto Fernández.

Although he had previously suggested he would not run for the October elections, other opposition members speculated he would still announce his candidacy.

Meanwhile, the ruling coalition, Frente de Todos, has not yet defined its candidate amid major internal disputes between Fernández and his Vice President Cristina Fernandez.

-with information from Reuters

Newsletter

All Right Reserved.  Buenos Aires Herald