Economy Minister and Unión por la Patria (UxP) presidential candidate Sergio Massa distanced himself from the Argentine government’s position on the continued attacks by Israel on the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. Following a statement made by the Foreign Ministry on Wednesday condemning said attacks, Massa shared a post made on X that supported Israel’s rights to defend itself following Hamas’ bombing on October 7.
The post republished by Massa was originally made by UxP Senator Pablo Yedlin, which rejected the Foreign Ministry’s statement.
“I am once again condemning Hamas’ terrorist attack on October 7,” Yedlin’s post says. “I confirm [that I support] Israel’s absolute right to defend itself and ask for the kidnapped people to be released.”
The post adds that Hamas uses “innocent civilians as shields.” Referencing a news article on the Foreign Ministry’s position, he said, “not like this.”
The Argentine Foreign Ministry’s statement published on Wednesday came after strong condemnation from Chile, Bolivia, and Brazil against Israel’s attacks on the Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza, which left over 200 dead.
“It’s fundamental that attacks against civilian infrastructure cease immediately,” it said, especially those aimed at ensuring “the provision of essential services in the Gaza Strip, including hospitals, water desalination plants, and refugee reception centers.”
In the press release, the government highlighted that it has “unequivocally condemned” the terrorist attacks perpetrated by Islamist group Hamas on October 7 and recognized Israel’s right to self-defense. Last week, Foreign Minister Santiago Cafiero requested United Nations support to secure the release of the 21 Argentine hostages held by Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
“However, nothing justifies the violation of international humanitarian law, and the obligation to protect the civilian population in armed conflicts, without making any distinction whatsoever,” Wednesday’s communiqué said.
Over nine thousand Palestinians and 1,400 Israelis have been killed in attacks since the conflict started on October 7.