The Argentine Foreign Ministry on Wednesday condemned the continued attacks by the Israel Defense Forces on the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza, which began on October 9 and have left more than 200 dead.
According to the communiqué, “it’s fundamental that attacks against civilian infrastructure cease immediately,” especially those aimed at ensuring “the provision of essential services in the Gaza Strip, including hospitals, water desalination plants, and refugee reception centers.”
In the press release, the government highlighted that it has “unequivocally condemned” the terrorist attacks perpetrated by Islamist group Hamas on October 7 and recognized Israel’s right to self-defense. Last week, Foreign Minister Santiago Cafiero requested United Nations support to secure the release of the 21 Argentine hostages held by Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
“However, nothing justifies the violation of international humanitarian law, and the obligation to protect the civilian population in armed conflicts, without making any distinction whatsoever,” Wednesday’s communiqué said.
The government also called the humanitarian situation in Gaza “increasingly alarming” and called for international assistance to reach the affected population without restrictions. On October 31, Claudia Mojica, Argentine Representative to the United Nations, expressed her concern over the situation of the Palestinian population in the Gaza Strip.
The communiqué comes after other Latin American countries took strong stands against Israel’s attacks. On Tuesday, Chile recalled its ambassador to Israel for consultations after what it described as Israel’s violations of international humanitarian law stemming from its recent military attacks on the Gaza Strip.
“Chile strongly condemns and observes [these military operations] with great concern,” the foreign ministry said in a statement, also contending that Israel’s operations amounted to “collective punishment” of Gaza’s Palestinian civilian population.
Bolivia decided to break diplomatic relations with Israel on Tuesday “in condemnation of the aggressive and disproportionate Israeli military offensive taking place in the Gaza Strip,” Deputy Foreign Minister Freddy Mamani said at a press conference. Colombian President Gustavo Petro called the attacks a “massacre of the Palestinian people” in a post on the social media network X, formerly known as Twitter.
“What we have now is the insanity of Israel’s prime minister, who wants to wipe out the Gaza Strip,” said Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Friday.
You may also be interested in: Government requests UN intervention to free Hamas’ Argentine hostages
Following Argentina’s press release, the Delegation of Israeli-Argentine Associations (DAIA, by its Spanish initials) released a communiqué of their own, condemning “the Foreign Ministry’s criticism against Israel for their military response to Hamas’ criminal terrorist attack.”
“It is time to stand apart from the cowardly positions held by some countries in the region that have decided to break off relations with Israel and condemn its legitimate right to self-defense,” DAIA’s press release said. The DAIA represents the Jewish community in official events and conducts all contact with authorities.
Israel declared war after Hamas launched its biggest attack on Israel in years on October 7. United Nations special rapporteurs and human rights groups have accused both Israel and Hamas of war crimes.
Gaza health authorities say that 8,525 people, including 3,542 children, have been killed in Israeli attacks since October 7. U.N. officials say more than 1.4 million of Gaza’s civilian population of about 2.3 million have been made homeless.
— Herald / Reuters