May 22, 2013
City Gov't defends handling of collapsed building case after missing man found dead
City Security Minister Guillermo Montenegro offered a press conference along with Social Development Minister María Eugenia Vidal and defended the Macri administration’s actions during before and after the collapse of a building that left dozens of families without a home in downtown Buenos Aires.
Montenegro defended the actions of the City Government during the evacuation and the search and rescue work that followed, assuring that government officials had been present since the moment they heard the building was in danger of collapsing.
He explained that the reason why they didn’t allow the rescue teams to go look for Isidoro Madueña, the only person reported missing, was because experts “had advised against entering the danger zone.”
He also assured that the crane that was brought in to complete de demolition of the building “only worked on the backside of the structure and in no way compromised the area where the third floor had landed.”
Regarding the Madueña’s evacuation, he said that the super “only realized that there was a person missing 45 minutes after the building had collapsed, and in those cases the headcount is conducted after the evacuation procedure.”
“We want to support Mariano. We deeply regret the loss of his father,” the Security Minister assured.
Vidal also said that the City Government “had been present since the beginning,” and they were “hoping for a different outcome.”
She closed by saying that the building’s inhabitants “had already received financial help from the City Government.”